How Costco Became the Anti-Wal-Mart

July 17, 2005   By STEVEN GREENHOUSE ISSAQUAH, Wash. JIM SINEGAL, the chief executive of Costco Wholesale, the nation's fifth-largest retailer, had all the enthusiasm of an 8-year-old in a candy store as he tore open the container of one of his favorite new...

Contract Negotiations/Health Benefits Update

To: All College Faculty From: Jim Mahler Re: Contract Negotiations/Health Benefits Update Many of you have asked what the recent signing of the State budget will mean to us as far as a salary increase is concerned. Our next step in this process is to ascertain exactly...

DONNA FRYE YARD SIGNS

NOW AVAILABLE AT IRONWORKERS LOCAL 229 UNION HALL & TRAINING CENTER Please Pick¹em Up Now! Monday thru Friday 9am-3:30pm 5155 Mercury Point, SD 92111 (Just west of highway 163, exit Clairemont Mesa Blvd onto Mercury to Mercury Court one block east; to Mercury...

FREE PADRES TICKETS

FOR PRECINCT WALKERS & PHONE BANKERS EVERY PRECINCT WALKER AND PHONE BANKER GETS A FREE PADRES TICKET EVERY TIME THEY SHOW UP. FREE PADRES TICKET TO THE LABOR @ THE PADRES GAME AGAINST THE PHILLIES, AUGUST 13,  7:05 pm, WHICH INCLUDES FREE FOOD & PICNIC AT THE...

Clarification on Upcoming Faculty Negotiations

In my email regarding negotiations I sent out yesterday (below), I obviously was not clear enough on the "career increment" item listed below as several of you have inquired about it.  Let me try to provide some additional clarification: As it stands now, the salary...

QUOTE OF NOTE

Who said the following? "Should any political party attempt to abolish Social Security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that...

Action Day, May 25th

The Alliance for a Better California will be holding a rally this Wednesday, May 25th in Los Angeles and Sacramento in protest to the Governor's continued attacks on public sector workers. The Labor Council is sending buses up, and we are organizing our own travel via...

Upcoming Faculty Negotiations

Dear Colleagues, As our academic year draws to a close, I wanted to thank all of you who invited me to your department meetings this semester to discuss the upcoming faculty contract negotiations. Based upon your input, here is a brief summary of the main items we...