SCHOLARSHIPS FOR UNION MEMBERS AND FAMILY OF UNION MEMBERS!!
THE AMERICAN FEDERATION OF TEACHERS GUILD, LOCAL 1931 LARRY SCHWARTZ MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship fund was established by the faculty members of American Federations of Teachers Guild, Local 1931 of the San Diego Community College and Grossmont/Cuyamaca College Districts to honor the memory and contributions to education and unionism of Larry Schwartz (1932-1995): history professor, labor organizer, a founder and long-time president of the American Federation of Teachers Guild, Local 1931 and political activist. It is awarded to members or students with a family member in a union.
The American Federation of Teachers Guild, Local 1931 is offering scholarships ($500 each) to students from City, Mesa, Miramar, Continuing Education, Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges.
- Be currently enrolled in at least 6 hours at City College, Mesa, Miramar, Grossmont or Cuyamaca
- Have completed a minimum of 12 units at City College, Mesa, Miramar, Grossmont or Cuyamaca
- Or Attended at least 100 hours at San Diego College of Continuing Education.
- Be a labor union member in good standing currently OR have a family member currently in a union
- Write an essay (see prompt below)
Submit a well written original essay on the following topic. Length: 500 words or less.
- What labor union membership has meant to your family and what role unions play in promoting the well-being of workers.
Submit your application and essay no later than March 10th, 2023.