Friday, October 23, 2015 9:23 AM
Dear SDCCD Faculty Colleagues,
Ratification ballots for our new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) were mailed out to your home address at the end of last week. Please check your home mail and return your self-mailing ballot postcard ASAP. If you have not yet received a ballot at your home address, please call the AFT office at 619-640-1155.
Please keep in mind that this ratification voting is for these non-economic items only. We hope to have our economic package finalized and sent out to you for a separate vote in a month or so.
As detailed in the letter which was included in this mailing to you, this ratification vote concludes over two years of preparations and negotiations. The terms and conditions of this new collective bargaining agreement (CBA) will become effective January 1, 2016. At the end of this email is a summary of the changes which are included in this new Agreement. You can view the full Agreement here.
Your AFT Executive Council strongly urges your YES ratification vote on the ballot you received in the mail. Please ensure your ballot is postmarked no later than Saturday, October 31st.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or need additional information.
AFT Guild, Local 1931
SDCCD Faculty Bargaining Unit
Summary of Changes to Collective Bargaining Agreement
Effective January 1, 2016
ARTICLE III – SAFETY
1. Campus Safety Officer identified each semester.
2. Includes allowance for safety glasses and work boots as needed.
3. Collaborative training with goal of developing ergonomic standards.
ARTICLE IV – GRIEVANCE
1. Clarification on binding arbitration language.
2. Clarification of topics outside of scope of CBA where outside adjudication is required.
ARTICLE V ADJUNCT FACULTY
1. Clarifies unemployment benefits eligibility.
2. Includes CE in same job security program as for college.
3. Clarifies day-to-day substitution assignments.
4. Sets minimum standard of 3 hours/day for non-classroom assignments.
5. Changes seniority to date of first request for POA from accumulated FTEF methodology.
6. Need to complete 8 semesters of service within an 8 year period to be eligible.
7. CE faculty with 10 semesters or more (without an 18 month break in service) automatically included.
8. Clarifies that POA will be based on an annualized load.
9. All classes taught since 1990 without a negative evaluation to be included on POA list.
10. Clarifies that seniority list is a public document, available to anyone who requests it.
11. Maintains post-retirement seniority as per AB 340 180 day waiting period and current sideletter agreement.
12. Strengthens/clarifies grievance language.
13. Mandates written notice upon request for reason of termination for non-POA adjunct faculty.
ARTICLE VI WORKING CONDITIONS
1. Adds heating/cooling to working condition standards.
2. Allows contract faculty to make long distance calls from their office.
3. Mandates a computer (which may be a laptop), internet access, printer for each contract faculty member.
4. District only responsible for sending to faculty members SDCCD email address.
5. Parking permits valid for 3 years for all faculty.
ARTICLE VII WORK LOAD
1. Clarifies that faculty have academic freedom over content of their syllabi, however, content required by accreditation must be included.
2. Codifies previously executed sideletter prohibiting teaching on Sundays.
3. Effective Fall, 2016, program cards to be electronic, faculty to post office hour schedule outside office door.
4. Clarifies calculation of FTEF for the arithmetic impaired.
5. Allows for flexibility in workweek schedule to meet student demands for non-classroom faculty.
6. Establishes a minimum assignment of three hours per day for non-classroom contract faculty.
7. Clarifies other assignment language for CE contract faculty.
8. Limit of 0.70 FTEF for summer, and no more than one intersession assignment per faculty member.
9. Clarifies calculation of work year for 11 and 12 month contract faculty.
10. Establishes overload banking program.
ARTICLE VIII SALARY
1. Addition of RAF settlements and clarification of salary rules to reflect current practices.
2. ESUs to not count toward load for contract faculty.
ARTICLE IX ACADEMIC DEPARTMENTS
1. Eliminates 50% cap on reassigned time for chairs.
2. All College Department Chairs and Assistant Chairs with 30% or more reassigned time to receive 11 month paycheck.
3. Establishes run-off election if no candidate for chair receives greater than 50% of the vote.
4. Clarifies election rules for CE Program Chairs.
5. Eliminates Presidential veto and removal of duly elected Program Chairs for CE.
ARTICLE X – BENEFITS
1. Adjunct benefits to continue until exhaustion of sick leave.
2. Clarification of medical benefits bridge for retired contract faculty over age 55 with 15 years of service.
3. Delineates Education Code provision regarding option of adjunct faculty to join CalSTRS.
4. Codifies previously executed sideletter on dual-coverage waiver.
5. Allows faculty to utilize District childcare facilities.
6. Allows adjunct faculty to vote on whether or not to join the State Disability Insurance (SDI) program.
ARTICLE XI – LEAVES
1. Revises current sick leave reporting formula for non-classroom contract faculty.
2. Codifies existing practice of conversion of adjunct sick leave hours at retirement for CalSTRS credit.
3. Unifies personal leave provisions for college and CE faculty.
4. Adds maternity leave as a qualifying event to accept catastrophic leave contributions.
5. Expands catastrophic leave donations to 60 days (matching what classified staff currently receive).
6. Expands Personal Business Leave provisions.
7. Updates bereavement leave definitions.
8. Expands parental leave provision to non-birthing parent.
9. Updates Industrial Accident and Illness leave provisions.
ARTICLE XII RIGHTS OF PARTIES
1. Clarifies and strengthens rights of faculty with respect to disruptive/threatening students.
2. Strengthens faculty privacy rights.
3. Codifies Academic Freedom/Freedom of Expression rights of faculty.
4. Adds a Guild representative to District Governance Council.
ARTICLE XIV DUE PROCESS
1. Codifies previously executed sideletter regarding investigation of complaints on faculty.
ARTICLE XV EVALUATION
1. Clarifies dean/chair signature is informational only during peer-only evaluation process.
2. Establishes 50 minute minimum observation time.
3. Ensures adjunct faculty are evaluated prior to beginning Priority of Assignment.
4. Dean to be included in pre-POA evaluation process.
5. Clarifies triennial process for tenured faculty.
6. Adds Faculty Evaluation Coordinator to TPRC.
7. Clarification of language to reflect current practices.
ARTICLE XVII EARLY RETIREMENT
1. Contract college faculty must retire in good standing to be eligible for pro-rata.
2. Codifies previously executed sideletter regarding post-retirement provisions of AB 340.
ARTICLE XVIII PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1. Codifies a professional development committee, appointed by academic senate, at each college and CE.
2. Unifies sabbatical leave provisions for college and CE faculty.
3. Updates sabbatical leave timelines.
4. District and outside work during term of sabbatical must have approval of Chancellor.
5. Clarifies that faculty on sabbatical have access to travel and conference funds related to sabbatical.
6. Adds Ancillary Activities for college adjunct work.
ARTICLE XXIII FACULTY SERVICE AREA (FSA)
1. Codifies existing practices in granting of FSAs.
ARTICLE XXVII DURATION AND CONDITIONS
1. Two and 1/2 year agreement: January 1, 2016 through June 30, 2018.