1) Majority Vote Initiative Petitions Due Thursday
What the initiative does: It reduces the requirement from the current 2/3 vote to a simple majority vote to pass the state budget. If passed, this would reduce the months of gridlock we currently encounter in enacting the State budget each year. California is one of only three states with this undemocratic requirement.
What the initiative doesn’t do: It does not change the 2/3 requirement needed to raise taxes.
Completed petitions to qualify the Majority Vote Initiative can be sent to AFT via District mail and are due by this Thursday.
We are asking each member to collect only five signatures. (Is that too much to ask?) Download your petition here.
2) March for California’s Future Updates
* Read Union Members Keep Marching for California’s Future and Economic Justice, the AFL-CIO’s account of the march.
* Read AFT Guild marcher Jim Miller’s weekly blog here.
* Follow the marchers’ progress at www.Fight4CAFuture.com
3) Home Healthcare Products
This valuable AFT member benefit provides significant savings on healthcare products not covered by private insurance or Medicare, such as wheelchairs and physical therapy equipment. AFT members and their families receive a 15 percent discount that can help manage rising healthcare costs.
Visit www.everydaymedical.com/aft or call 1-877/AFT-4-MED.
Not a Guild member yet? Joining as a member doesn’t cost you any extra, and gives you access to numerous discounts and free benefits. Click here to join online: http://tinyurl.com/Join1931