1) Do Your Part To Help End The Budget Crisis In California!
Year after year our state continues its downward spiral-financial crisis, gridlock and the deterioration of our public services: schools, parks, health care, public safety, assistance for the poor, elderly and disabled.
There’s One Main Reason: Under California law, a two-thirds vote is required to pass a budget or raise revenue. That means a minority of legislators (one-third plus one, in either the State Senate or State Assembly) controls the legislature by saying, “No” until they get what they want. This is minority rule, not democracy.
A minority of ideological extremists, who do not believe that state government should serve public needs, has used these two-thirds rules to block the will of the majority, take control, and drive our state into chaos and near-bankruptcy. That is why we are asking all of our members to help us qualify the Majority Budget Act for the November 2010 ballot.
This measure would reduce the undemocratic 2/3 super-majority currently required to pass a state budget to a simple majority. The 2/3 requirement to raise taxes would not be affected.
We are asking each of our members to download a petition and gather a minimum of five signatures. Faculty may also circulate additional copies among their students. (If you need class sets, AFT will be glad to make them for you, just let us know how many you need.) Click here to download the petitions. Completed petitions can be returned to AFT via District mail.
2) March for California’s Future Updates
* To date, the march has been covered over 90 times in local television reports!
* Read “Californians March into the Heartland,” by David Bacon, The Nation, http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100329/bacon
* Follow the marchers’ progress at www.Fight4CAFuture.com
* Add March for California’s Future to your Facebook account. Over 1,200 members already have!
* Read AFT Guild marcher Jim Miller’s weekly blog here.
3) Dental, Vision and Prescription Discounts
This plan, with a 45-day risk-free trial, gives members and their families comprehensive dental care discounts and substantial discounts on prescription drugs, eyewear and contact lenses through a nationwide network of participating dentists, pharmacies and eyecare providers.
* $119.99 a year for an AFT member and his or her family.
* Save 20 percent to 60 percent on dental procedures.
* Save 20 percent to 60 percent on eyeglass frames and lenses.
* Save an average of 31 percent on generic prescription drugs.
* Save an average of 13 percent on brand-name prescription drugs from participating pharmacies.
* Save 15 percent on conventional and disposable contact lenses.
Visit www.aftdental.com or call 1-888-949-8184.
Not a Guild member yet? Joining as a member doesn’t cost you any extra, and gives you access to numerous discounts and free benefits. Click here to join online: http://tinyurl.com/Join1931