We have received several responses, but we are still in need of many more speakers. Please read my message below and consider volunteering to speak on one of these topics at your campus.
Begin forwarded message:
From: Jim Mahler
Subject: Speakers Needed For May 1st Teach-In
Date: March 17, 2017 at 10:04:11 AM PDT
We are beginning the planning for a very important teach-in at each campus on May Day, May 1st, also known as International Workers’ Day. The point of the day is to celebrate and recognize workers’ rights, especially in light of the attacks we are currently facing from Trump and company.
We are in need of speakers at each campus to give a 10-15 minute presentation sometime between 9:00-11:00am on May 1st on the following topics:
- History of May Day
- Current Challenges to the Labor Movement
- Current Threats Facing Public Education
- Immigrant Student and Workers’ Rights
- An Analysis on the widening gap of Economic Inequality and how it intersects with Race, Gender, and Climate Justice
- Examples of and the Necessity of Solidarity Among Workers
- Food and Housing Insecurity of our Students
If you would be willing to speak on one or more of these topics at your campus, please email me back which topic you are interested in and please include your worksite.
Thanks in advance!
Jim Mahler, President
AFT Guild, Local 1931