The San Diego Labor, Environmental, and Community Coalition Mission Statement
The San Diego Labor, Environmental, and Community Coalition is a Labor-Community Alliance committed to fighting for social justice in the age of catastrophic climate change. Our mission includes building strong alliances and partnerships between labor and environmental and community groups that transcend the transactional. We will be pushing for bold new political and policy initiatives that move beyond lip service to effectively address the pressing issues of our age—climate change, historic economic inequality, systemic racism, sexism and other forms of oppression.
Historically, we have been sold the myth that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. This is a false choice and has been perpetuated by a multi-billion dollar corporate network that dominates the political and public sphere. Thus, the challenge is big, and the answer is to change the game.
In that spirit we are committed to:
- Educating the public on the myriad effects of climate change on the natural world, our health, the economy, and our children’s future
- Supporting campaigns and political initiatives that honestly and effectively address the existential threat of climate change
- Pushing for a Green New Deal on the local level with SD GND Alliance and at the state and national level.
- Fighting environmental racism
- Promoting an intersectional approach to the great social justice issues of our time that recognizes that the interrelationship between classism, racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism and other forms of oppression and the devastation of our environment
- Re-imagining our cities in terms of housing, transportation, and infrastructure to allow for a greener, more just social order
- Promoting Just Transition to a Green Economy that leaves no worker behind
- Advocating for a more equitable tax system that assures that the rich and corporations pay their fair share so that we have the resources to address the great challenges of our age.
2020 (c) - The San Diego Labor, Environmental, and Community Coalition